Dental veneers are thin, custom fabricated shells made of porcelain or composite resin. They blend with your natural teeth and mask tooth irregularities, improving the appearance of cracked, stained or chipped teeth. They generally fit onto the front teeth because they’re not as durable as crowns and will not be able to withstand chewing forces.
What Are Veneers Used for?
Veneers are an effective way of improving the appearance of your teeth. They hide surface stains and even out irregularly shaped teeth. They’re ideal for patients who have suffered from cracked teeth and those who have gaps at the front of their mouths.
More importantly, veneers also blend in seamlessly; meaning no one will be able to tell that you’re wearing them.
Types of Veneers
The two most common veneers are composite resin veneers and porcelain veneers.
Composite resin veneers are not pre-fabricated – they’re made at the dentist’s clinic during the patient’s appointment. These veneers are ideal for small cosmetic procedures and are also cheaper than porcelain veneers.
Porcelain veneers are custom-designed and fabricated at a dental Laboratory by expert ceramists technicians. Once the dentist receives the porcelain shells, they bond them to the patient’s teeth. Porcelain veneers are better suited to patients with unsightly or unaesthetic tooth abnormalities.
Since they don’t stain easily, they will remain looking good for a very long time.
The Advantages of Dental Veneers
The procedure for getting dental veneers is simple. It’s generally pain-free and it offers great cosmetic benefits.
- Restore chips and cracks, allowing your natural teeth to remain intact.
- Make darker teeth look brighter and more natural – the dentist will choose a shade that will improve your appearance.
- Provide you with a conservative approach – the dentist won’t have to remove a lot of the tooth’s structure whole preparing it for veneers.
Caring for Your Veneers
Since veneers are not as strong as your natural teeth, you have to take a few precautions to help them last:
- Avoid biting into hard foods that might crack or debond them. Cut your food down into smaller pieces and use the teeth at the back of your mouth to chew.
- Limit your consumption of foods and drinks that cause tooth discolouration.
- Brush regularly and floss to keep your veneers clean.
- Avoid using abrasive toothbrushes or toothpaste that will damage the shells.
- Use adentist custom made night-splint or mouthguard if you’re prone to teeth grinding. This will prevent the veneers from getting damaged in your sleep.
Do You Need Dental Veneers?
If you want a smile makeover, visit the general and cosmetic dentistry professionals at Gordon Family Dental. Our composite resin or porcelain veneers leave your teeth looking spectacular and improve your confidence when you smile.
At our office, we have treated many of hundreds of patients with our extensive range of cosmetic dental procedures such as ceramic crowns, dental implants, crown and bridgework. If you ever need dental veneers in Gordon, Turramurra or Pymble, give us a call on 02 9499 5086 for a comprehensive smile enhancement assessment. We will be happy to provide you with the latest treatment options in modern cosmetic dentistry in a supportive and comfortable environment.